Saturday, April 11, 2015

Trying to Make Hiroshima's Okonomiyaki

March 21st--The kids and I really wanted to see if we could make Hiroshima's version of okonomiyaki.  I found a recipe on the internet and we tried it out.  I had all four burners of the stove going, using four pans to make two okonomiyakis at a time. 
Instead of mixing the ingredients together, I layered it just like the guy in Hiroshima did.  I made a crepe in each of the first two pans, then added cabbage, sprouts, green onion, dried fish flakes, salt and pepper and Dashi.  Then, I put some bacon strips on top along with a drizzle of the crepe batter before flipping it over.  While the bacon was cooking, I used the two second pans to fry some soba noodles in okonomiyaki sauce.  When they were ready, I picked up the okonomiyaki and set it on top of the noodles.  This left the first two pans empty again and ready for me to fry an egg in each one.  When the egg was ready, I set it on top and put the whole thing on a plate.  Some okonomiyaki sauce, seaweed, sesame seeds, and dried wasabi on top was the finishing touch. 
It wasn't quite as good as Hiroshima's okonomiyaki....but it was dang good!  It looks gross, but looks are deceiving.  It was a lot of work to make okonomiyaki this way--it took me over an hour of constantly cooking and flipping okonomiyaki from one pan to the next until I had made one for everybody.  It would have been a lot easier if I had a griddle the size of a counter and that guy's really big spatulas, but I made do with what I had.  I think we have decided this is our favorite way to eat this stuff!  Too bad it's also the most work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment